Thursday, January 29, 2009

WHY? Why, why, why, why, why?

Outre- bizarre, odd, outlandish.

The Walking Dictionary's Definition of the Day Award goes to: boys' minds!

OK, MAYBE this is biased, since I am a girl. But let me tell you a story:

I was in history today, and we were picking a restaurant we wanted to go to on our spring field trip. (We are not actually going to a restaurant, sadly; it was part of a lesson on compromises during the making of the Constitution.) The final two, after much ponderous voting, were the California Pizza Kitchen (or something along those lines) and, to my GREAT annoyance, Hooter's.

We were allowed to send up representatives to talk about the restaurants, because the goal was for all of us to agree on one restaurant. Here is the "points" the boy who was sent up as the Hooter's representative made:

"Girls! You can get tips from the waitresses on how to look good! And guys, c'mon! It's HOOTER'S! Why WOULDN'T you want to go?"

At this point, another boy stood up and stated:

"And if you order extra wings, the waitresses will bring more and have to bend over to serve them! Get what I'm saying?"

My teacher then replied:

"(Insert name here), this is me, standing on the clear line of appropriateness. And there's you, standing waaaaay over on the other side."

But this seemed a little untrue to me, as my teacher was the one who suggested this stupid restaurant in the first place. How depressing. 

So, though I was cracking up at the sheer stupidity of it, at the same time, I was furious! The sexist pigs! I do NOT want some useless advice from a bunch of ditsy mid-twenties girls who only have experience in wearing ridiculously tight shirts and balancing trays on their arms! And the guys.... oh, how sad. How terribly, horribly sad. If we peered into their minds, all we would see is images of hot wings and pretty girls. At least, that's what it would be like in the minds of the eighth grade boys at GMS. 

When I told my mom this story, she informed me that they were not being perverted or sexist. They were just being boys. She said that no matter how old they are, this trait lives on in them forever. WELL! That's great. Fantastic. I will be surrounded my entire life by a gender obsessed with food and beautiful, golden hair. Joy.

The Great Blogzini predicts: Your spirit shall be channeled through a payphone. Or is it just your voice?

2 comments:

  1. Men ... can't live with them, can't put them in a wood-chipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom got engaged at Hooter's...not on purpose though My parents were out at some club or something, where my dad had been planning to take my mom to some nice place afterwards, well something went wrong, and they ended up at Hooter's. Very random.

    ReplyDelete